Hello. I'm a designer (graphic, digital, product), writer, conference speaker, and event director.
I have over twenty years experience leading design at companies such as Fictive Kin, Erskine, and Agenzia. Along the way I've assisted governments, banks, airlines, electronics companies, record labels, publishers, and charities. My eclectic client history includes Samsung, HSBC, The Libertines, and Frieze.
I enjoy writing about pretty much anything. I wrote a bestseller about CSS when that was cool (so, long time ago), and I've contributed to numerous publications. I'm happiest when weaving sentences about design, tech, travel, the natural world, and speculative futures. I've spoken at design events all over the world, and I'm director of the much-loved New Adventures conference series.
I believe strongly that designers should care for the arts and humanities, and draw from a vast array of diverse inputs and experiences. I also think digital tools can be a force for good; that they have much to offer in connecting us to the beauty all around us. For more on that, subscribe to my Internet of Natural Things newsletter.
I live in Nottingham, but can often be found elsewhere. I'm married to illustrator Geri Coady, and owned by Bearface the cat.
- North America
- An Event Apart, Seattle / AIGA Design Camp, Nisswa / Creative Mornings, New York / Brooklyn Beta, New York / Go Beyond Pixels, St. John's / Interlink, Vancouver / EECI, San Francisco
- Mainland Europe & Iceland
- Beyond Tellerrand, Düsseldorf & Munich / Smashing Conf, Freiburg / Dsgnday, Amsterdam / Awwwards, Paris / Refresh LX, Lisbon / Webshaped, Helsinki / Ready to Inspire, Leiden / Icelandic Web Awards, Reykjavík / Frontend, Oslo / Sneak Preview, Genk
- United Kingdom
- Build, Belfast / dConstruct, Brighton / Future of Web Design, London / Reasons to be Creative, Brighton / Refresh, Edinburgh / DIBI, Gateshead / Future of Web Apps, Leeds
- Edge of the Web, Perth
- Recent favourites
- 2018 — Living with a conversational object
- 2018 — Existing in four dimensions
- 2018 — Data watching
- 2017 — Little goat of the air
- 2017 — Junco’s, the tiniest pub in Newfoundland
- 2017 — Early connections to nature
- 2011 — The Manual: Maturity and the Weight of Learning
- 2011 — The Manual: Lesson (a meeting with artist Ian Breakwell)
- 2011 — 24 Ways: Taming Complexity
- 2010 — Preface for Hardboiled Web Design
- 2010 — 24 Ways: The Articulate Web Designer of Tomorrow
- 2009 — A List Apart: Erskine Redesign
- 2007 — Foreword for Beginning HTML with CSS and XHTML
Sadly, many interview links have expired; a few even evaded the Wayback Machine.
- 2018 — Pixel Pioneers interview
- 2013 — Net magazine feature interview (online transcript)
- 2012 — An Event Apart speaker spotlight
- 2010 — The Pipeline with Dan Benjamin
- 2010 — Net magazine Q&A
- 2010 — A dozen questions from The Standardistas
- 2009 — Boagworld podcast no.175: Collaboration
- 2009 — Net magazine profile (Erskine Design)
- 2007 — Net magazine short interview
- 2007 — Digital Web Design magazine
- 2006 — Web Designer magazine
- 2006 — Net magazine — The Style Guru